Not all candy is created equal. Some kinds of candy are much worse for your teeth than other kinds, and some can even damage your expensive dental work. Dr. Hawkins definitely doesn’t want you to have to make an appointment because a jawbreaker broke off your crown and you need it replaced!
While we certainly don’t advise Midlothian, VA residents to eat a huge candy bar with every meal, we know how delicious sweet treats are, and we’re not going to tell you to stay away from them altogether. Here at Hawkins Family Dentistry, we just want you to make informed decisions about your oral hygiene and nutrition choices, so that you can have a happy and healthy mouth!
Frequently eating chocolates, candy, and other sweets can create an ideal environment for decay-causing bacteria, which contributes to toothaches, sensitivity, and cavities. This also leads to plaque, a sticky substance made of bacteria that thrive on sugars and carbohydrates and produce harmful acid that attack your teeth. This attack by bacterial acid, lasting 20 minutes or more, can lead to a loss of tooth mineral and, eventually, to cavities, the American Dental Association explains.
What candy should I eat?
Candy that is sticky or hard tends to remain in the mouth for a longer period of time and can be more harmful than softer candy, like chocolate, which washes away easier with saliva. Choosing treats that are sugar free is one way to help reduce the amount of harmful bacteria your mouth is fighting. Hard, sticky candy can also wreak havoc on your dental work, including orthodontics, bridges, and crowns, and you should always exercise caution in those cases.
If you have any questions about candy or any other dental hygiene issue, always feel free to call us or send us an email.
Call Us Now at
New Patient Forms
Read Our Reviews
Please call us at (804) 897-9800 or fill out the form below to request an appointment.